Braemar, World famous for its annual Highland Gathering and Royal associations, Braemar lies in a spectacular position 1,000ft (330m) above sea level near the junction of the Rivers Dee and Clunie, amid magnificent mountain scenery and beautiful countryside. The area is renowned for its superb walking, climbing, ski-ing, cycling and country sports, as well as its abundant wildlife and rich local history.
The village has a number of small shops offering local arts, crafts and produce as well as general store, post office and chemist for the day to day necessities.
There is a tourist information centre in the village situated directly across the road from The Fife Arms Hotel.
Braemar and its surrounding area is steeped in history dating back to the earliest Kings of Scotland through to the contemporary acquaintance of royalty.
The local hill Creag Choinnich (“Kenneth’s Creag”) is named after King Kenneth II. Both he and King Malcolm Canmore, who won his kingdom when Macbeth was killed at nearby Lumphanan, are reputed to have resided at Kindrochit Castle the ruins of which can still be seen in the village.
The nearby Braemar Castle, built in 1628 by the Earl of Mar, was a Hanoverian Garrison after 1745 and later the family home of the Faquharsons of Invercauld. Braemar was also the place where the Jacobite standard was raised in 1715 to support the Stewart claim to the throne.
In 1855, Queen Victoria established nearby Balmoral Castle as her family’s holiday residence. Her grand-daughter married the Duke of Fife, who built the third Mar Lodge near the Linn of Dee which is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
Robert Louis Stephenson spent many holidays in Braemar and wrote “Treasure Island” whilst staying there in 1881. “Treasure Island Cottage” still stands on the Glenshee Road and bears a plaque commemorating the event. (RLS’s friend, John Silver lived on Chapel Brae!)